Markdown Lite

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sun Jan 16 00:27:29 EST 2005

John Gruber wrote:
> How do you think it differs from the philosophy those tools?
>
> The other big idea I'm thinking about is a mode -- or an off-shoot
> of Markdown, where existing 'raw' HTML tags are stripped out.
> Markdown seems to be getting a lot of use in comment forms, and I
> think allowing HTML tags in comment forms is a horrible idea.

That's a great idea. In something like blog comments or forum posts full
Markdown as it stands (and is getting bigger) is overkill. I wouldn't
worry about HTML sanitation, there are existing tools that cover that
quite well.

What would be a good starting point for Markdown-for-comments or Lite or
whatever would be two-way conversion out of the box, enabling and
disabling of features, and a really user-friendly introduction.

I don't know about allowing HTML in addition to Markdown, it would
certainly simplify some parts if the source text could be assumed tobe
Markdown-only.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com