Paragraphs and Line Breaks

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Jul 4 14:38:01 EDT 2005

Le 4 juil. 2005, à 13:36, Angie Ahl a écrit :

> Not really. I'm trying to work out why the double space is needed as

> the Markup code already treats 2 return as the end of a para so I

> can't see why the double space is required.

This rule is needed when you want to make your text pretty. Let's say
you have a list, you can indent the content like this:

1. This is a small
paragraph with
three lines.

It also has a
second paragraph.

2. Second item with
two lines.

Ok, you usually write your lines longer than that, but the point is
that if you convert every line break by `<br />` like you suggest, you
can't align the lines yourself. You will have let your text editor
auto-wrapping method show you something like this:

1. This is a small
paragraph with three
lines.

It also has a
second paragraph.

2. Second item with
two lines.

In the same way, blockquotes written that way:

> This is a blockquote
> that span on multiple
> lines.
>
> It also have a second
> paragraph.

will need to be changed like this (displayed as if auto-wrap was
present):

> This is a blockquote
that span on multiple
lines.

> It also have a second
paragraph.

I find this less readable. But if this is not inconvenient to you, feel
free to change your Markdown copy to accomodate your needs. It is
open-source for a reason.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/