Footnotes

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Jul 27 12:59:39 EDT 2005

I was asking myself last weekend what exactly could be a great syntax
for footnotes (which could be part of PHP Markdown Extra). I think John
just used it:

John Gruber wrote:

> If you want to specify alignment, you'll have to assign a class to

> the paragraph. [^1] Or to a parent div:

> [...]

> [^1]: Search the list archives for some of my syntax ideas for how

> you might be able to assign classes to paragraphs and other

> block elements.

And for multiple-paragraph footnotes[^2], just indent the second
paragraph, or the blockquote, or the list...

[^2]: First paragraph for this footnote
using two lines.

Second paragraph for the footnote.

> blockquote

* list

Footnotes could appear anywhere, but would be put automatically at the
end of the document.

It still need a little more thought, especially about id attributes
which should not clash with anything else on the same page. Often,
there is more than one weblog entry on a page.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/