Adding additional output formats for Markdown?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Jul 28 09:01:22 EDT 2005

Le 27 juil. 2005, à 21:53, Fletcher T. Penney a écrit :

> For me, my dream for Markdown would be to use it as the default syntax

> for most of my text-ish documents - weblogs, wiki pages, academic

> papers, readme's for my software, etc. A single Markdown document

> would likely end up becoming a variety of different kinds of

> documents, each of which would have a different means of specifying

> the title, author, etc.

And what exactly is a *Markdown document*?

As you may have noticed, Markdown does not output HTML documents; this
is not what it is meant to. It convert snippets of text that you can
put in the middle of a template HTML page.

The same thing could apply to a Markdown-to-Latex converter: you
convert Markdown headers to Latex headers and so on, then another
program put it in inside a template Latex document. This way, people
can choose the template they like, and give the metadata (if any) into
that other program that build the final result.

Your metadata format is interesting, but I see no reason why you should
merge the template program with the Markdown conversion program. They
could both exist as separate entities. For example, your template
program could read the metadata, then read the Markdown formatted
content, call the Markdown-to-something-else converter over the content
and output the document using the template, the converted content, and
the metadata.

This way you have a separate Markdown converter usable in other
environments where the metadata isn't stored the same way, like, say,
Movable Type or Bloxsom. More than that: you have a separate
metadata/template tool that could work with other syntaxes than
Markdown provided there is a converter.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/