Image syntax

Eric Daspet eric.daspet at survol.net
Thu Jul 28 16:35:42 EDT 2005

Le jeudi 28 juillet 2005 à 15:43 -0400, John Gruber a écrit :

> My understanding is that the `title` attribute should be something

> that's appropriate whether you see the image or not. Whereas the

> `alt` attribute is a more complete description.

Well, the HTML specification is clear about that :

"The alt attribute specifies alternate text that is rendered when the
image cannot be displayed. User agents must render alternate text when
they cannot support images, they cannot support a certain image type or
when they are configured not to display images."

The "more complete description" should go to longdesc attribute.

Alt isn't a description (also it could be for some cases), it's an
*alt*ernative, something which can replace the image when you can't see
it.
We simply have to go to a texte or vocal browser: it simply replace the
image by the alt attribute. In some places a description of the image is
adequate, in other cases it isn't. In general you don't want a full
image description when you read / listen the doc, you only want some
short alternative (and nothing if not adequate) ... and maybe dig
further to request longdesc/title attribute for somes.

--
Eric