Footnotes

Denis Defreyne amonre at amonre.org
Fri Jul 29 08:46:36 EDT 2005

On 27 Jul 2005, at 18:59, Michel Fortin wrote:

> I was asking myself last weekend what exactly could be a great

> syntax for footnotes (which could be part of PHP Markdown Extra).

I don't believe footnotes fit in the scope of Markdown. Every syntax
element in Markdown has a HTML counterpart; footnotes do not. If HTML
would define footnotes in some way, I believe most problems would be
solved: what class should footnotes have, do we really want `<sup>`,
should footnotes really be at the bottom, maybe it's better to have
footnotes after a text section instead of at the very bottom, what
about floating tooltips instead of footnotes, etc.

But HTML does not define footnotes and as such, IMO, do not fit in
the scope of Markdown.

Regards,

Denis Defreyne

mail: amonre at amonre.org