Conversion of special characters to entities

Tobias Gruetzmacher tobias at portfolio16.de
Wed Mar 9 17:34:27 EST 2005

Hi,

Lasar Liepins schrieb:
> Apparently MarkDown does not convert special characters that possess
> HTML entity equivalents. Examples are German Umlauts (ä becomes ä
> etc), which often come up in my documents, with me being German and all
> that. Of course I can do this with an additional script after or before
> running MarkDown over my documents, but since for example the ampersand
> is converted to &, I was wondering why such characters are not
> replaced by their respective entities.

If the character encoding of your documents is correctly declared
everywhere (I suppose you use ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15) using the

HTTP Header or (if you have no control over your web server) the
corresponding meta attribute:

     content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

then using entities should not be necessary. I don't think there are any
browsers out there which don't honour this specification.

Greetings Tobi

--
GPG-Key 0xE2BEA341 - signed/encrypted mail preferred
My, oh so small, homepage: http://portfolio16.de/