Any news re tables and Markdown?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Mar 12 08:45:33 EST 2005

Le 12 mars 2005, à 0:04, Jelks Cabaniss a écrit :

> When we discussed this earlier on this list, several people said they
> didn't
> like the "looks" of GTs.  Yet I feel sure reStructuredText and
> GrutaText
> chose the GT precisely because it is *already* the defacto
> standard/meme for
> drawing ASCII tables.  Just scroll through some of the RFC's like:
>
> * <http://tinyurl.com/44t9d>
> * <http://tinyurl.com/5tavg>
> * <http://tinyurl.com/5rgpz>

I admit that many of these tables looks great, but most tables in these
RFC's cannot be converted so simply. Here is an excerpt of one table in
the second RFC:

> +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
>     |  Quantifiers - Items to count the preceding regular expression
> |

> +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
>     |     ?      |  Match zero or one instances.
> |
>     |     *      |  Match zero or more instances.
> |
>     |     +      |  Match one or more instances.
> |
>     |   {n,m}    |  Match any number of instances between
> |
>     |            |  n and m (inclusive).  {n} matches exactly n
> |
>     |            |  instances.  {n,} matches n or more instances.
> |

> +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+

This table looks nice because there is not a separator line between
each table row, just between the most important ones. The real meaning
of this table is more like this:

     +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
     |  Quantifiers - Items to count the preceding regular expression   |
     +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
     |     ?      |  Match zero or one instances.                       |
     +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
     |     *      |  Match zero or more instances.                      |
     +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
     |     +      |  Match one or more instances.                       |
     +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
     |   {n,m}    |  Match any number of instances between              |
     |            |  n and m (inclusive).  {n} matches exactly n        |
     |            |  instances.  {n,} matches n or more instances.      |
     +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+

And there you can see the additional clutter. Maybe there is a way to
parse the first version if we can make a line different when it just
adds content to the previous row:

     +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
     |  Quantifiers - Items to count the preceding regular expression   |
     +------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
     |     ?      |  Match zero or one instances.                       |
     |     *      |  Match zero or more instances.                      |
     |     +      |  Match one or more instances.                       |
     |   {n,m}    |  Match any number of instances between              |
     :            :  n and m (inclusive).  {n} matches exactly n        :
     :            :  instances.  {n,} matches n or more instances.      :

But this isn't so cute, and is hardly what people use today.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/