Any news re tables and Markdown?

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Tue Mar 15 11:01:23 EST 2005

David Herren <david at idiomatrix.com> wrote on 03/14/05 at 8:16pm:

> I understand your sentiment, but at the same time, none of the rest of
> the markdown syntax requires the user to select a particular
> typeface...

And these suggested tables syntaxes wouldn't require any particular
font, either. But if you're using a proportional typeface, you'll
just be on the hook for counting all the spaces, whereas if you use
a monospace typeface, you'll be able to line things up by eye.

You can't make a nice-looking table in plain text using proportional
typefaces.