Any news re tables and Markdown?

David Herren david at idiomatrix.com
Tue Mar 15 20:09:53 EST 2005

I agree, of course, but I think what I'm trying to say is that I
suspect a great many users of markdown use it only for producing web
copy. They don't actually produce markedown texts that ever stand
along. I could be wrong, of course, but I have yet to see markdown used
anywhere other than the web. Now given that, and the fact that text
fields in web browsers are rarely monospaced, I would just encourage
you to consider that when making table decisions. I'm pretty sure you
will consider it anyway, with or without my encouragement.

Thanks for your work.

On Mar 15, 2005, at 11:01 AM, John Gruber wrote:

> And these suggested tables syntaxes wouldn't require any particular
> font, either. But if you're using a proportional typeface, you'll
> just be on the hook for counting all the spaces, whereas if you use
> a monospace typeface, you'll be able to line things up by eye.
>
> You can't make a nice-looking table in plain text using proportional
> typefaces.

/david

--
david herren - shoreham, vt us na terra solsys orionarm

"W" is making enemies faster than he can kill them.