Problems with incorporating markdown into a project

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Sun May 8 08:00:54 EDT 2005

Isn't this too complex, though?

Back when TextPattern was in alpha, I remember asking Dean why he
was storing two representations of each post:  a raw version
(marked-up with Textile) and a transformed XHTML version.  The
reason was performance, that is, the raw input would be stored for
future editing, be transformed upon save, and the transformed data
presented at display time.

But he agreed that wasn't perfectly elegant (ya gotta love the guy's
instincts), and had a solution planned:  de-Textile, a parser that
would convert XHTML blobs to Textile pseudomarkup.  That way, only
an XHTML version would be stored.

I thought it was nuts.  I still think it's nuts.  Don't think
de-Textile ever happened.

Why not store the data as Markdown, transform it at display time,
and be done?  It's not expensive.  That's what I have Drupal doing
(at TextDrive) and it performs just fine.

With all this transforming and de-transforming, something's bound to
go wrong.  I just don't see the advantage.  If there were one, it'd
be performance, and that seems easier to address by storing two
representations.

LQ