Image Syntax

Angie Ahl alists at vertebrate.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 07:30:11 EST 2005

On 5 Nov 2005, at 01:51, Christoph Freitag wrote:

> 1. Pure Text

> If you write pure text you should't worry about the syntax for

> images. It will never get in your way.

> 2. Text with references to images

> If you write text that is converted to a "publication" (a book, a

> website) in a second step (your secretary, a printer/typesetter, or

> some computer programme or script) you will need to tell the

> "typesetter" to include images, if necessary. You need not necessarily

> tell them where the images are or what size they should be -- it is

> safe to assume that your typesetter already knows this.

I agree.

Our CMS uses markdown for text formatting, but actually have our own
markup for inserting images/downloads and tables etc before it gets
passed to markdown. We've also used CSS to make text flow around images
etc neatly.

we use [image="x"] for our syntax. This is replaced by the html src for
the image including a caption, title and dimensions gathered from a
database.

Obviously this is part of a system that knows where everything is and
way beyond the scope of markdown. But I totally agree that it's layout
rather than text and I never liked the idea of a text file with layout
info in it. Might as well use HTML if you're going that far.

if the [image] tag is at the start of a paragraph the the image is at
the top/left of the para and the text flows around. If the [image] tag
is at the end of the para it gets aligned right at the top. It didn't
make sense to me to start with but the designer insisted it worked and
it does really nicely.

We're still refining (and will be for a while) but here's an example of
the output:

<http://www.splinterthemovie.com/castcrew/index.html>

Hope this gives some ideas.

Angie