Image paths

robert mcgonegal robert37 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 20:52:30 EST 2005

On 7-Nov-05, at 8:25 PM, A. Pagaltzis wrote:

> I’d simply use:

> ![alt text][pic1]

> ![alt text][pic2]

> ![alt text][pic3]

> [pic1]: http://www.domain.com/folder1/folder2/folder3/pic1.jpg

> [pic2]: http://www.domain.com/folder1/folder2/folder3/pic2.jpg

> [pic3]: http://www.domain.com/folder1/folder2/folder3/pic3.jpg

> It’s very easy to edit the shared portion of these links all at

> once with a good editor; eg. with Vim’s visual block mode.

I am afraid I don't use Vim so I wouldn't benefit from that. I guess
my point was if the path is the same, only mentioning it once seems
more efficient. Moving the path to the bottom increases the legibility.

Also, "pic1" makes sense but with no extension and a more ambiguous
image name, someone reading, say, ![alt text](britney) isn't
necessarily going to even realize that is an image that the alt text
refers to. One of the current benefits is you don't really need to
apologize or explain if you send someone a file that uses Markdown.
They either understand it or ignore it.

Anyway this is sort of like fantasy baseball at this point.

Robert McGonegal