Tables

Steve Cooper steve at stevecooper.org
Mon Nov 14 17:59:18 EST 2005

On 14/11/05, John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> wrote:

> So why not get rid of the colons, and do column alignment based on

> the number of spaces between the items in the column and the pipes?

I like the idea; it's certainly a bit more visual. I don't think the
colons make for a distracting element, though. they're subtle since
they're a vertical character next to a vertical pipe.

> Why not just require that every line of a table must start with a

> pipe (`|`)?

I'm using PME's tables in the more verbose form; it seems to be
necessary to get empty column headers. Eg,

You have to do;

| file | |

to get a two-column table; this doesn't work;

file |