Tables

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at alumni.duke.edu
Tue Nov 15 16:47:49 EST 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 4:17 PM, Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

> Fletcher T. Penney wrote:

>>> You wouldn't have to "fuss". If you wanted a right aligned column,

>>> just make sure each one is only one space from the right-side pipe

>>> and that there are two or more spaces on the left:

>>> | Alaska |

>>> | California |

>>> | Maine |

>>> | New Mexico |

>> But then the table columns would not be aligned in plain text view,

>> EVEN with a monospaced font. Which, as I noted in a previous email,

>> seems like a much bigger problem than the colon.

> Then just write the above as ...

> | Alaska |

> | California |

> | Maine |

> | New Mexico |

> which would end up with the same output, but look as desired in a

> monospaced

> font in plain text.

> /Jelks

You missed the point - you're right back to having to manually count
the leading spaces before each word. Which defeats the whole purpose
of an "easy to use" syntax.

We all agree that one can fiddle with the space bar until the cows
come home (to use a wonderful southern (US) expression).

My point is that right-aligning words (in a left-to-right language)
is not a trivial task.

Fletcher

--
Fletcher T. Penney
fletcher at alumni.duke.edu

I had a friend who was a clown. When he died, all his friends went
to the funeral in one car.
- Steven Wright