Tables

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at alumni.duke.edu
Wed Nov 16 00:08:48 EST 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 11:50 PM, Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

> Fletcher T. Penney wrote:

>> To me, the question is not which option to use (of these two, the

>> choice seems obvious, though I am certainly open to other ideas).

>> The question is how to make the second less ugly (note that I didn't

>> say pretty) when spanning lots of cells. And this is where the

>> "Markdown as email text" analogy breaks down - I don't currently see

>> how it can remain quite as elegant as the rest of Markdown when it

>> comes to creating tables.

> "Markdown as email text" *will* break down to a certain extent when

> it comes

> to "advanced" features. Tables (with colspans), and attributes are

> good

> examples of such.

>> But I really feel that tables are too important not to include in

>> Markdown

> I agree, but I think that attributes are equally as important, and

> I hope to

> see them implemented soon.

I'm with you - and they have been available for a week or so with
MultiMarkdown, for the unbelievably low price.... ;)

Basically, I've tried to implement all the things that I want, most
of which others on the list have suggested and/or proposed syntaxes
for. You can try them out and see what improvements can be made for
the "official" syntax for the features that John chooses to add to
Markdown. (Tables, attributes (for links and images), metadata, and
much, much more...)

Fletcher

http://fletcher.freeshell.org/wiki/MultiMarkdown

PS> And if you want to see what else MultiMarkdown and some XSLT
magic can do, check out

http://fletcher.freeshell.org/wiki/pdf/MultiMarkdown

--
Fletcher T. Penney
fletcher at alumni.duke.edu

When it comes time to do your own life, you either perpetuate your
childhood or you stand on it and finally kick it out from under.
- Rosellen Brown