treating doctype and php as block-level elements

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sun Nov 20 07:07:05 EST 2005

Le 2005-11-20 à 04:07, A. Pagaltzis a écrit :

> I don’t care what decision is taken about the vendor-invented

> syntaxes, but the standard syntax elements should definitely be

> supported.

Sure, but my question was how far should we go? For example, this is
a valid doctype declaration:

<!DOCTYPE note [
<!ELEMENT note (to,from,heading,body)>
<!ELEMENT to (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT from (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT heading (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT body (#PCDATA)>
]>

Should we support it? (Browsers support this correctly only for xml
mime types.)

What about comments inside it (delimited by `--`)?

<!DOCTYPE note [
<!ELEMENT note (to,from,heading,body)>
<!ELEMENT to (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT from (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT heading (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT body (#PCDATA)>
-- this is ]> a comment --
]>

And what about quoted text inside it?

So we have the choice of supporting this loosely like browsers do
with a text/html mime type or we could support it fully according to
the xml spec, which is not a trivial task. Or we could do something
in the middle.

That was the essence of my question.

I think the answer (for `<!`) is obvious: there is not much value in
supporting this currently. But it's still good to know that this
limitation exists.

- - -

As for `<%` and `<@`, I've never used them so I don't even know what
is the correct closing marker. Is it `<@ @>` or just `<@ >`? Is
there any special consideration to take into account?

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/