A syntax proposal: attributes for referenced links

"Choan C. Gálvez" choan.galvez at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 11:37:07 EDT 2005

Hi all.

I run an Spanish language blog where I usually link resources written in
English, so I'd like to markup (some) links this way:

hreflang="en">Markdown</a>

Would it be possible to extend the markdown syntax to allow this? I'm
thinking about reusing the reference link syntax, this way:

Blah blah [markdown][md] blah blah.

[md]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax "Syntax
description" hreflang=en

This way, we could include any attribute in referenced links, for example:

Blah blah [markdown][md] blah blah.

[md]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax "Syntax
description" hreflang=en class=anything lang=en

(The lang attribute would translate both into lang="en" and xml:lang="en".)

What do you think about it?

Regards,
Choan

PS: Hope my "English" makes some sense today.