typography of the apostrophe

Brian Forte bforte at adelaide.on.net
Tue Oct 18 21:18:49 EDT 2005

>>However, in standard U.S. typography, the single open quote is so

>>rarely used (only quotes within quotes) that that particular

>>"smartness" should be off by default. Even at the beginning of

>>word, it's still more likely to be an apostrophe signifying

>>elision. `Tis a hateful, hateful thing, I tells ya.

>Sounds like a fair point.

Except in standard Commonwealth typography the single open quote is
common as muck.

In the US, most style guides stipulate the double-quote (") character
for direct speech and the single-quote character for indirect speech
(ie a speaking character quoting another person to a third-party). In
the UK and Australia, the reverse is true.

I'd be a touch peeved if Markdown's algorithms were changed to
convenience US typographic habit at the expense of mine (and many
others).

Just a quick note from the Antipodes.

Regards,

Brian Forte.
--
Brian Forte, <mailto:bforte at betweenborders.com>
Writer, editor, scripter, dangerous mind.