Asterisk footnotes

Aaron Swartz me at aaronsw.com
Sat Oct 29 09:38:49 EDT 2005

I hereby invoke Gruber's Law to say we've got a problem with asterisk
footnotes and so on. I have occasionally seen people write:

> "Now is the time for all good men to light the wick of their candle with my own

> without the aide of government sponsorship."

> - Thomas Jefferson

and the attribution becomes a bullet point. But even more frequent is this:

> But most of all, samy is my hero*. As if you didn't know! Heh.

> It's not like anybody's telling me to say this, you know. I really

> think that.

> * samy may not actually be my hero.

and the asterisk footnote becomes a bullet point.

And since me and my friends have fallen prey to this, action must be taken!