The Status of Markdown

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Sun Oct 30 06:34:23 EST 2005

Fletcher T. Penney <fletcher at alumni.duke.edu> 2005-10-29 14:56:

> It looks like you chose the same format for metadata as I did when I

> wrote MultiMarkdown.

:-)

> I'm not sure how you handle it, but MultiMarkdown uses the metadata

> to create the title for the XHTML document (if creating a

> "complete" XHTML document (body, header, etc) and not just a

> snippet of XHTML to be included in a larger document).

It depends, right now I don't much use of it ... for the web stuff I just
discard it. For some other things I might use different keys.

Right now I'm mostly adding info for later use (and in some other stuff I'm
actually using it)

> If enough people are using this idea, it might be nice to standardize

> some of the keys - for instance, I use Title, Date, Author, Keywords,

> Copyright for the obvious.

I use this format for different types of text files and the keys that I
always add are title, date, and type. I might add additional key for
different types of document.

> Is anyone else out there doing something like this? Is there enough

> support for it to petition it's inclusion in the "real" Markdown, or

> should it remain a custom only feature?

I don't know, but I think it might be better to add this as a "meta-format"
since the usuage of these keys are so specialized to different individuals.
But making libraries available for handling this would be nice.

jem
--
Jan Erik Moström, www.mostrom.pp.se