Header ids in PHP Markdown Extra

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Sat Sep 3 09:04:28 EDT 2005

Michel Fortin wrote:

> If someone thinks implementing ids like this is a bad idea, please

> raise your hand and explain. Otherwise, PHP Markdown Extra 1.0 is

> scheduled to be published this weekend, with this new feature enabled.

Great news, Michel. Ids on any block-level element will provide
targets for XHTML and hooks for most CSS things you'd want to do.

The only burning need for class assignment that I can see is oddball
mechanical stuff, like alternating row colors in tables -- but then
tables are persistently a special case. Since PHP Markdown Extra
takes them up, it might be useful to also have an *optional* switch
in the table syntax that would inject alternating class attributes
into TRs (odd_row, even_row). That way they could be styled as an
abstraction, or a little more discretely in the context of the
table's id. Or ignored. User's choice.

PHP Markdown Extra is letting me deploy Markdown much more widely,
and I'm grateful for it. Merci.

LQ