Emphasis or Italic?

Jon Noring jon at noring.name
Sat Apr 29 09:32:44 EDT 2006

Aristotle wrote:

> Anton wrote:

>> Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

>>> For other "italics semantics", I suppose the best bet is

>>> microformats, though that's still sub-optimal:

>>> She went down on the <em class="shipname">Titanic</em>.

>> ... And pretty soon, to accommodate all this semantics, you end

>> up with XML.

> Uh, what…?

Well, we don't want that, do we!? <laugh/>

Accommodating such fine-resolution semantics is definitely something
difficult to achieve with mark-down or regularized text. It brings one
back to the purpose of mark-down, what one is willing to give up, and
which user groups will not find mark-down to meet their particular
needs.

Jon