getting test added to the standard test suite.

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 30 23:49:31 EDT 2006

John Gruber wrote:

> Hmm, this is interesting.

> Most of these seem straightforward as to what the results should

> be, but this one seems weird to me:

> reference [**test**][]

> [test]: http://foo.com/

> [**test**]: http://bar.com/

> My gut feeling is that the current result from Markdown.pl is correct:

> but it does seem like a weird thing to write.

This really feels wrong to me. If it were up to me, this would just
break, and users would get back something like `[**test**][]`, because
supporting this across versions is going to be a big hassle, and there's
no reason anyone can't simply use [**test**][test] instead, which makes
for much nicer references. The reference name should be text, not markup!

-Jacob Rus