Maruku: a better Markdown interpreter for Ruby.

Andrea Censi andrea at censi.org
Thu Dec 28 13:57:52 EST 2006

On 12/28/06, John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> wrote:

> Andrea Censi <andrea at censi.org> wrote on 12/27/06 at 7:11 PM:

> >In particular, what do you think of this (proposed) syntax for adding

> >meta-data to span-level elements?

> >http://maruku.rubyforge.org/maruku.html#future

> 8.1. A syntax for specifying meta-data for span-level elements

> Your use of braces here is very likely to conflict with future

> extensions to Markdown itself.

About this, Michel Fortin referred to an old thread (2005) about
meta-data syntax.
I resurrected it and tried to summarize:

http://maruku.rubyforge.org/markdown_extra2.html
http://maruku.rubyforge.org/markdown_extra2.md

Any comment after so long time?

> 8.2. Comments.

> Why not just use HTML comments?

For one thing, if I have to write a one-line comment:

<!-- Please, Mark, have a look at the following list -->

I need no less than 7 characters. Practically every language except
xml allows a
syntax.

For hiding a lot of text, I concede that the <!-- --> syntax is
sufficient, but is really overkill for short comments

--
Andrea Censi
"Life is too important to be taken seriously" (Oscar Wilde)