Maruku: a better Markdown interpreter for Ruby.

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Dec 28 16:38:25 EST 2006

Le 2006-12-28 à 16:00, John Gruber a écrit :

> The way Michel Fortin has handled this with PHP Markdown is ideal.

But please everyone take note that it can also be pretty cumbersome
at times. I don't want to dissuade anyone from keeping separate
implementations Markdown and added features -- that's certainly a
good idea, and a good learning experience too -- but implementers
must realize that the implementation of some features is really hard
to to achieve without writing two completely separate parsers. For
instance, PHP Markdown Extra's special handling of underscore-
emphasis completely override the corresponding parser function of PHP
Markdown.

In fact, one of the reasons why custom attributes aren't already
supported in PHP Markdown Extra 1.1 is because it's hard to figure
out a way to do it without changing every regular expression of PHP
Markdown and creating two completely different code bases to
maintain. My plan is to do this by adding the necessary hooks in PHP
Markdown's regular expressions, but the point is that it'd be much
simpler to do if the added Extra features were merged into the
regular PHP Markdown parser.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/