best way to use emphasis within code?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Dec 30 23:22:28 EST 2006

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Michel Fortin wrote:

> Le 2006-12-30 à 14:13, Jeremy C. Reed a écrit :

> > I want to use fixed font like a code block but also use italics and

> > bold

> > at same time.

> > For example in HTML:

> > What is the best way to do this in markdown, especially if I have

> > several

> > lines of content that needs to be spaced out correctly?

> The only way is to write these parts in HTML yourself, as you did

> above, and insert them in the Markdown document. Everything inside a

> code block or a code span is taken literally by Markdown, no

> exception, so you can't add any tag inside them.

Thanks for the info. I am using Markdown to generate formats beyond just
HTML, but could use HTML if needed.

Do any of the Markdown derivatives support what I want to do?

Do any Markdown derivatives provide a syntax to mean use <tt> or <code>
without following stuff being taken literally by Markdown?

If not, I will code this for my own use. I will attempt to add an option
to Markdown so it doesn't take it literal.

Or maybe use two "" (two double-quotes) to begin and end the <pre><code>
block. Or start line with "" (two doubel-quotes).