underscore and italic policy

Sam Joseph srjoseph at hawaii.edu
Fri Jul 7 22:00:14 EDT 2006

Hi Waylan,

Thanks for your input. Good point. Making them inline code is a good
suggestion. At the moment we're using ruby BlueCloth implementation of
Markdown which has a problem with backtick support (single backticks
cause an error, so I'm filtering them out at present), but that is
besides the point.

You are right that a faq entry should alert users to this issue, but for
many users I think we can rely on them not reading the faq.

Personally I would like to avoid having to type the backticks in because
I can't think of any situation where I would actually want embedded
italics, but then I can also see that if embedded bold works, it makes
sense to have consistent functionality for italics.

Hmm. The other issue for me is that we include auto_linking in our
system, on top of markdown, and thus underscores in urls get italicized
and break the auto_linked urls, but again that's an issue peculiar to
us, although I'm not sure why markdown doesn't just autolink urls, since
I can't think of many situations where I wouldn't want a url auto_linked
- I guess if it was a dummy link or something. And what if I want the
link text to be the link title. Right now I have to do:

[http://mysite.com/place_me_here.html](http://mysite.com/place_me_here.html)

which is a bit of a pain.

Just thinking out loud ...

CHEERS> SAM