adding [markdown] to the email subject lines for markdown-discuss

Sam Joseph srjoseph at hawaii.edu
Fri Jul 7 22:16:37 EDT 2006

A. Pagaltzis wrote:

>* Sam Joseph <srjoseph at hawaii.edu> [2006-07-08 03:50]:

>>I was wondering what people thought to the idea of getting

>>"[markdown]" added to the subject lines of all the mails to the markdown mailing list?

>From the headers of the mail you just posted:

> <snip>various mail headers </ship>

>What about that doesn’t suffice for you?

My mail tool (thunderbird) has a default search above the messages.
None of the default options "subject, sender, (subject & sender), body"
allow me to easily filter the markdown emails.

Naturally I can open a search tool and do a search based on those
headers, but it's not as convenient.

I subscribe to a lot of mailing lists and tend to rely on
[mailing-list-name] appearing in the subject line to do my filtering.

I find that if I set up a script to filter automatically to another
folder then I just end up not reading that mailing list. At least
that's my habit.

The [mailing-list-name] subject line addition is used in lots of
places. Is there a reason that some people don't like it? Subject line
gets too long?

CHEERS> SAM