adding [markdown] to the email subject lines for markdown-discuss

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Sat Jul 8 17:06:05 EDT 2006

...we are about as off-topic as we would be if we started talking
about the world cup...

at 13:45 on 08.07.2006, Jan Erik Moströ m wrote:

>Reply to Mark Smith <mark at bbprojects.net> 06-07-08 12:33:

>> FW*L*IW, I think its a matter of personal filtering

>> policy. If you discretely filter markdown discuss

>> messages, then all you need is in the headers. If you have

>> a common filter for markdown-discuss messages and one, or

>> more other message sources, then a secondary sort criteria

>> for the mailbox, label, or whatever can be useful. This is

>> where I see *some* value in "subject IDs". [Case in point

>> : the 3 "BBEdit lists" (talk, scripting and web-dev)]

>I usually do this by having one BBSW talk filter

> if any recipient contains "-talk at barebones.com" then deposit

>and then sub-filters for the various lists

> if any recipient contains "mailsmith-talk at barebones.com"

> then deposit

Yes. I do something similar and we both use the same email client,
though I think your version might be newer than mine (:

My point was though, that one might not want a one list per
mailbox, or one list per label/tag filtering model and in such
cases the possibility of sorting the message list per
list/label/tag becomes interesting again.

Was just mentioning an area in which the subject annotation could
be used in a way that (in most clients) is not facilitated by
header contents. I'd prefer to do this with lables than with
subject annotations, but sometimes there aint enough labels to go
round.

mark.