parsing question - lists and blockquotes

Eric Heimerman eric at heimerman.org
Thu Jun 8 10:37:22 EDT 2006

I'm using the PHP port of Markdown, but I noticed the same effect on
your dingus <http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus>
The problem I'm seeing is when I have an bulleted list and the last item
of the list contains a block quote. The blockquote does not terminate
correctly, and adding another blockquote after the list ends up
extending the original blockquote. Here's what I mean:

##Heading 1
- Item 1
- Item 2
- Item 3 contains a blockquote:
> quote line1
> quote line2

##Heading 2
> This should be a new blockquote
> but turns out to be just a
> continuation of the first blockquote
> and doesn't get indented

##Heading 3
> Another block quote here.
> this one is correct

This becomes...

<h2>Heading 1</h2>

<li>Item 1</li>
<li>Item 2</li>
<li>Item 3 contains a blockquote:</p>

quote line2 </li>
</ul></p>

<h2>Heading 2</h2>

but turns out to be just a <br />
continuation of the first blockquote <br />
and doesn't get indented</p>

<h2>Heading 3</h2>

this one is correct</p>

I need a way to terminate that first blockquote before ##Heading 2. I
just noticed in your cheetsheet that nested blockquotes within lists
isn't supported, so maybe that's a no-no.