PDF output

Dr. Drang drdrang at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 16:33:02 EDT 2006

On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Fosters wrote:

> Upon examining the output of Markdown and noting the very small set

> of tags, I thought it might lend itself naturally to this project.

> The result is a crude shell script that uses Markdown, SmartyPants

> and tetex (specifically, pdfetex) to generate a pdf file from a

> Markdown file.

I'm amazed that

1. you've written this as a shell script instead of in Perl, Python,
Ruby, etc.
2. it's so short.

I would suggest you take a look at Fletcher Penney's [MultiMarkdown]
[1] system, which I've been using--with a few personalizatons--for
about 6 months now. It uses XSLT to transform XHTML LaTeX for later
processing. Also, the folks on the [TextMate][2] mailing list have
brought [Prince][3] to my attention. I have no experience with it,
but it apparently turns XML to PDF directly using CSS.

--
Dr. Drang

[1]: http://fletcher.freeshell.org/wiki/MultiMarkdown
[2]: http://www.macromates.com