Minor regexp oversight for setext headings

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Oct 9 00:47:14 EDT 2006

Le 8 oct. 2006 à 13:24, John Gruber a écrit :

> So while we're fixing Setext-style headings, here are my thoughts

> on how to make them less ambiguous. One overall problem in

> Markdown 1.0's syntax is that it isn't clear when you need blank

> lines to separate block-level constructs.

> I feel strongly now that this was a mistake, and that the rules

> should be tightened such that all (or nearly all -- there may be

> worthwhile exceptions I haven't considered) block level constructs

> must be both preceded and succeeded by a blank line. (Or they must

> occur at the start or end of the document, of course.)

As much as I agree with you, I tend to believe it'll break backward
compatibility for a couple of people. I've seen this a couple of times:

Paragraph...

Header
======
Paragraph...

although I don't remember exactly where. So I think this should be
kept working.

About this:

this
hello
=====
that

I wouldn't encourage anyone to write a two-line heading in most
circumstances, but given ambiguous input, it does seem the most
logical thing to do is to not separate contiguous text into parts. So
I'd say it's one header and one paragraph:

<h1>this
hello<h1>

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com