Possible bug in Markdown.pl with `<<` handling

Fletcher T. Penney fletcher at alumni.duke.edu
Mon Sep 11 18:12:10 EDT 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 5:54 PM, Jacob Rus wrote:

> I'm just wondering… is there any case where you want `<<properly>>`

> not in a monospace font? That has to be some kind of codeword, and

> I can't imagine it coming up in regular prose. My suggestion is to

> either escape the second `<`, as in `\<\<properly>>`, or else just

> wrap the whole thing in `\`` marks, as in `` `<<properly` ``.

> Markdown shouldn't be expected to deal with such weird almost–html-

> tag things.

> -Jacob

I agree that Markdown shouldn't have to "deal with" anything it
doesn't handle, but it shouldn't screw it up either. That's the
whole point of converting any `<` Markdown doesn't understand into
`&lt;`. In this instance, the regexp misses one.

Are you suggesting that Markdown users not be allowed to use `<<` at
all? (The trailing `>>` is not necessary to demonstrate this bug,
just the `<<` followed immediately by almost any non-whitespace
character.) I frequently use `<<` as a shorthand for "much less
than" and it would not be inconceivable that this could end up in a
Markdown document.

Fletcher

--
Fletcher T. Penney
fletcher at alumni.duke.edu

A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without
getting nervous.