Markdown comments

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Sep 19 20:33:06 EDT 2006

* Magnus Lie Hetland <magnus at hetland.org> [2006-09-19 09:10]:

> How about entity-encoding the hyphens? Or will that not help

> wrt. the XML syntax? (The semantics of the text would at least

> remain the same... No?)

It would make the comment legal, but it would not preserve
semantics, no. Comment text is always verbatim; no entity (or
other) parsing is performed on the text between comment markers.

I don’t see why anyone would care about lossy munging, though.
Does anyone roundtrip Markdown-generated HTML documents back to
Markdown and if so, do they really need to have their hyphens
preserved exactly? It seems to me that simply subtituting a
similar-enough-looking character is Good Enough.

Regards,