Tightening the rules for literal `[` and `]` chars in link ids

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Sep 26 17:08:14 EDT 2006

* Jacob Rus <jrus at hcs.harvard.edu> [2006-09-26 22:50]:

> These are just identifiers. They don't show up at all in the

> final document. So there's no reason for people to put fancy

> characters in them.

Pre-defined links might get added to a document, and then the
link names constitute an interface. This is not contrived; read
my previous mail.

> This permissiveness doesn't increase usability or friendliness.

> It doesn't increase usability.

It doesn’t decrease it either, other than for the square bracket
bug that noone has complained about in years. Permitting escaped
square brackets would be extra work for the parser, but for all
other punctuation, so would being restrictive. I see no reason to
make new rules about anything other than square brackets.

Regards,