Bug: Code block after list

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Sat Aug 4 19:31:56 EDT 2007

Waylan Limberg wrote:

> IIRC, there was a recent discussion about having two blank lines force

> the end of a block.

> Certainly a simpler solution than others proposed here. Or is there

> something obvious that I'm missing?

Is it safe? While it wouldn't break any of my source, it could
introduce a sloppiness penalty, though I'm not sure for whom.
Mainstream CMS implementations come to mind. Also, the apps that
transform _to_ Markdown would need to check themselves.

If safe, I think two linefeeds forcing a block close is good. New
users often expect that behavior, anyway. We probably all expected
it on first go.

Nevertheless, this is not *necessarily* the same issue as addressing
the code-block syntax weakness with a sturdier option.

Code blocks are an important and common element that rate an
optional, unindented, unambiguous syntax, because misrendering can
cause real-world damage. There's a strong plain text convention --
and it ain't four-space indents.

Hey, I like the tab or indent thing. It's clever. But it's also
wobbly, and makes guys I work with nervous. Best answer I've got
is, "Yeah, but isn't the indent thing cute?"

Cute don't play. Nobody understands this design choice. Too clever
by half, IMO.

LQ