Backtick Hickup

Michael Sheets mummer at whitefalls.org
Mon Aug 20 17:41:51 EDT 2007

On Aug 20, 2007, at 10:17 AM, John MacFarlane wrote:

> If the suggestion is that the lexer is going to identify '**' as

> a "strong emphasis marker" and '*' as an "emphasis marker," prior

> to any parsing, I don't see how that's possible. Consider

> ***bold** in italics*

> ***italics* in bold**

> There's no way of knowing whether the initial two *'s should start

> strong emphasis unless you scan forward.

> Btw, I notice that the TextMate syntax highlighter gets these cases

> wrong. Markdown.pl gets them wrong too, turning the first into

> pandoc gets them right:

I think your just proving the case here not helping it. The markdown
page is very vague in this regard not even mentioning that ***bold
italics*** works. It says that asterisks surrounded by whitespace are
literal. Technically the following should work according to the page:

foo** bold **foo

What makes the Markdown.pl interpretation wrong? (Ignoring for the
moment it's improperly nested html.) Without a proper syntax you
can't say that either one is right or wrong, only that one is
preferable in your opinion.