Footnote support in Markdown

Jonathan Deber jonathan.deber at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 23 14:06:37 EST 2007

Hi All.

I've just started using Markdown for my blog.

So far it seems quite nice, but the one issue I've run into is a lack
of "native" support for footnotes. I think that Daring Fireball's
footnote style makes a lot of sense, and that's what I intend to use.
However, it is a bit cumbersome to implement that style from within
Markdown.

I notice that the PHP Markdown Extra project has Daring
Fireball-style footnote support, and it seems to be implemented in
quite an intuitive manner. I was wondering if there were any plans
to bring this functionality over to the standard Markdown. Just out
of curiosity, John, how do you do the footnotes for Daring Fireball?

(Actually, I do have one feature suggestion for the PHP Markdown
Extra syntax. If you're posting to a CMS system where multiple
articles may appear on the same HTML page, you need to assign each
article a GUID so that the footnote links make sense (i.e., you can't
have two articles that both use "fnref" as the anchor name for the
footnotes, since you would end up with two anchors with the same name
if two articles are published on the same page). It's of course
possible to do this with a search and replace of "fnref" to something
like "2007-01-23-1" prior to publishing. But, it would be nice if
you could specify a document GUID and have the Markdown processor do
that substitution for you.)

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before; I didn't notice any
mention of it on the list archives, but the search functionality
seems to be a bit lacking.

Anyway, any information would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Jonathan