converting html with \xa9 to Markdown and using iconv?

Julian Tarkhanov listbox at julik.nl
Fri Mar 23 10:43:41 EDT 2007

On Mar 22, 2007, at 9:52 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I tried using html2text.py but it didn't like these characters.

> Any ideas on how I can use iconv or another tool to convert

> documents like

> this so I can then convert to Markdown?

This might have to do with Python and it's silly-silly unicode strings.

I have done hundreds of docs with all kinds of weird characters in
them, in many languages, as long as they were UTF-8 the
Perl markdown, the PHP one and the Ruby one all worked fine. You got
mucho problemo if you use some odd 8-bit legacy encoding for your
special
chars.

Besides, you don't actually need to convert them to entities -
normal browsers just render these Unicode chars verbatim if your font
has them.

--
Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov
please send all personal mail to