ANN: python-markdown2 -- another Python implementation of Markdown

Trent Mick trentm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 20:12:25 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I'm announcing python-markdown2 -- another Python implementation of
Markdown. (MIT license.)

http://code.google.com/p/python-markdown2/

It should be a drop-in replacement for
[markdown.py](http://www.freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/). It
fixes some issues that I ran into with markdown.py [^1]. I believe
that it is faster than markdown.py [^2] and on par or a little faster
than Markdown.pl.

It is basically a re-write of Markdown.pl in Python and generally
generates the *exact same* output as Markdown.pl. There is a fairly
extensive test suite [^3] -- including testing with some of the
"MarkdownTest" and "MDTest" test suites. I've also started on
implementing some of the common extras [^4] (some patches from Adam
Gomaa).

I welcome any feedback.

Cheers,
Trent

[^1]: I had tried a long while back to send some bug reports/patches
to Yuri (I believe the maintainer of markdown.py), but my emails
bounced. Unfortunately I didn't notice the discuss list of sourceforge
at the time. I'll send those out soon, Yuri, if you are listening.

[^2]: http://code.google.com/p/python-markdown2/wiki/PerformanceNotes

[^3]: http://code.google.com/p/python-markdown2/wiki/TestingNotes

[^4]: http://code.google.com/p/python-markdown2/wiki/Extras

--