Flat code block syntax

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Oct 8 21:39:37 EDT 2007

Le 2007-10-08 à 11:52, Bruce Phillips a écrit :

> Though not visually appealing, are there any (technical) thoughts

> on backticks (which are currently used for <code>)?

> ``

> "Hello, code!"

> ``

Using backticks (in any number) is likely to conflict with code
spans. You can start a code span with any number of consecutive
backticks (and stop it with the same number). The above example is
seen by current Markdown parsers as a paragraph containing a code
span. Do we want to change the behaviour when backticks are alone on
their line? I'm not sure it'd be wise.

> What about colons?

> ::::::::

> "Hello, code!"

> ::::::::

I still prefer tildes `~~~~` as they're closer in appearance to
hyphens `----` I've seen used in email, [ddoc][1] embedded code, and
some other places. Technically, colons would be as good, but I prefer
the aesthetics of a tilde line.

[1]: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/ddoc.html

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com