footnote syntax

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Feb 8 07:10:07 EST 2008

Le 2008-02-08 à 2:26, Richard Taytor a écrit :

> I searched the list but didn't find an answer to this question.

> Why is the caret[^c] preferred over the asterisk[*a] for footnote

> markers?

> [^c]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret

> [*a]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk

I'm not the one who came up with the syntax in the first place, but I
think it's clearer to use a new character rather than overloading the
asterisk with yet another meaning. Also, to me at least, ^ evokes the
exponentiation operator which is represented as superscript in
mathematics, which in turn could make me think of a superscript
footnote marker.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/