Markdown RFC?

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 19:11:43 EST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 5:59 PM, Andrea Censi <andrea at censi.org> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008 2:31 PM, Petite Abeille <petite.abeille at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Has anyone considered writing a formal specification for Markdown?

> Yes, it's called Markdown.pl <g>.

I have to respectfully disagree. Mr. Gruber himself has said a few
times on this list that just because markdown.pl does something
doesn't mean it's right. In fact, my recollection is that he indicated
the syntax rules are the final authority and that markdown.pl fails in
some instances. Interestingly, most of the "direct ports" fail in
those same instances. Sorry, I can't recall any specific example at
this time as I don't use one of those "direct ports."

Of course, the problem is that the syntax rules are a little vague
from time to time and in some instances are open to multiple
interpretations. However, given the philosophy behind why J.G. created
Markdown, I don't know that such a strict specification is desirable
in this instance. If you search the archives, you'll find previous
discussions on this.
--
----
Waylan Limberg