spelling with <g>?

Joseph Lorenzo Hall joehall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:05:34 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 10:19 PM, Petite Abeille <petite.abeille at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2008, at 4:30 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:

> > Markdown specifically allows you to use HTML in the middle of your

> > prose. <g> looks like an HTML tag, Markdown recognize it as such,

> > and you get it as an HTML tag in the output.

> Hmmm... yes... but... <g> is not a HTML tag... shouldn't it be escaped

> automatically much in the same way as < g > would?

I'm unfamiliar with linguistics, but... looking back at the context of
where you are using `<g>`, it appears as if you are merely attempting
to highlight the character "g", no? Wouldn't it be more appropriate
to use something other than angle brackets? For example, you use
square brackets a bit earlier in the paragraph; do square and angle
brackets mean something distinct here? best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
UC Berkeley School of Information