spelling with <g>?

Yuri Takhteyev qaramazov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:59:43 EST 2008

I am with Waylan on this one. :)

Our approach has been to give the user the choice of three options:
we'll remove HTML-like tags, or escape them, or leave them. Trying to
sort them into HTML and non-HTML tags would be too error-prone and
limiting (for the reasons Waylan mentioned).

That said, there is no reason why markdown libraries couldn't accept
an explicit list of "valid" tags as a parameter:

html = markdown.markdown(text, extensions, options,
allowed_tags=['a', 'i', 'b', 'img'])

I suppose we could even set a few constants for you, so you could do
something like:

html = markdown.markdown(text, extensions, options,
allowed_tags=markdown.HTML5_TAGS)

In general, perhaps we should think more in terms of what options
markdown libraries should support rather than in terms of what
Markdown does by default.

- yuri

--
http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/