standard-izing extended markdown

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Wed Jul 23 13:13:33 EDT 2008

>>>>> "Michel" == Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> writes:

Hello Michel,

Michel> Well, I plan to specify and define unambiguously the syntax for
Michel> Markdown Extra, with an eye on keeping that spec usable to
Michel> implement a plain Markdown parser too. I hope to convince some
Michel> other Markdown implementers to follow the parsing model in that
Michel> spec to help improve interoperability and compatibility both
Michel> with standard and extra features.

Hey this are good news :-)

Michel> You can read the current draft here:
Michel> <http://michelf.com/specs/markdown-extra/>

Thanks for the link. I stumbled upon it sometime in the past (replacing
support for markdown in PHP Markdown with M-extra in CMSMS), but forgot
about it...

Michel> Development of that spec is somewhat stalled right now, as I'm
Michel> working on other things. Note that these other things include an
Michel> experimental incremental parser for PHP Markdown and PHP
Michel> Markdown Extra... which could count as advancing the spec anyway
Michel> by looking at what is practical and what is not. (Some problems
Michel> with the current approach in the spec convinced me to experiment
Michel> a little before writing further.)

Good, good. Let's hope that nice 'standard' for Markdown Extra will
emerge out of it...It makes Markdown very powerful for authoring of all
kinds of documents.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour | Zagreb, Croatia | GPG key: C6E7162D