on the philosophical aspects of a specification

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Mar 3 07:42:15 EST 2008

Le 2008-03-03 à 6:36, Aristotle Pagaltzis a écrit :

> Why then does the fallacious argument that a spec would represent

> a loss for the user continue?

Some people have proposed before that some constructs may not be
outlawed, that syntax rules should be changed, that Markdown is either
too clever or not clever enough. People have been pushing a spec for a
lot of reasons, and thus the consequences of writing a spec have
become much more confusing.

Here's my take on it:

I don't think Markdown should be changed, we just need a spec to avoid
each implementation from implementing "cleverness" in incompatible
manners. Let's specify exactly how things *are* parsed now, minus the
bugs.

(Note that by how things *are* parsed now, I'm not talking about
specifying in english how Markdown.pl works; I'm talking about having
the same result from a given input. Just making sure I'm not adding
more unneeded confusion to that part of the discussion.)

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/