evolving the spec (was: forking Markdown.pl?)

John Fraser john at attacklab.net
Mon Mar 3 16:15:24 EST 2008

On Mar 3, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Andrea Censi wrote:

> I didn't know what packrat was, so I googled it. It looks interesting:

> from what I understand, it's a more user-friendly way of specifying

> languages.

> Here's a good link, if anyone else is interested:

> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~baford/packrat/

Sorry, I should have provided a link.

And since you're looking at the papers, I should mention that what I'm
building isn't strictly a packrat parser -- specifically, it won't
guarantee O(n) running time. Two reasons: 1) it lets you match
against regular expressions as well as literal strings; and 2) I'll
probably handle nesting by modifying the results of one rule (i.e.
stripping one level of indentation) and recursively calling a parser
on the result.