on the philosophical aspects of a specification

Steve Hoelzer shoelzer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 08:28:04 EST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Michel Fortin
<michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:

> Le 2008-03-04 à 13:15, david parsons a écrit :

> > But what's the intent of ***hello*, sailor** ?

> > Should it produce

> > 2. <strong>*hello*, sailor</strong>

> > 3. *<strong>hello*, sailor</strong>

> > 4. ***hello<em>, sailor<strong>

> > 5. ***hello*, sailor**

> > cry) ?

> I'd say 1:

<snip>

> A better question is what to do with this:

> *hello **dear* boy**

For cases like these, I'd say that Markdown shouldn't do anything.

>From the official Markdown page:

> The overriding design goal for Markdown's formatting syntax is to make

> it as readable as possible. The idea is that a Markdown-formatted

> document should be publishable as-is, as plain text, without looking

> like it's been marked up with tags or formatting instructions. While

> Markdown's syntax has been influenced by several existing text-to-HTML

> filters, the single biggest source of inspiration for Markdown's syntax

> is the format of plain text email.

So, the question is: Would you ever see **mismatched *asterisks***
intentionally written in plain text email?

I don't think so, because it doesn't make intuitive sense. And if I
can't make sense of the plain text, why should Markdown define one
interpretation as being correct?

Steve